With a smart thermostat, controlling the temperature in your home couldn't be easier. Also known as a WiFi thermostat, a smart thermostat connects to your home's wireless Internet network, allowing you to control it from anywhere in your house -- or out of it. Warm up the home while sitting in traffic, or cool the house at night without getting out of bed. Smart thermostats put climate control at your fingertips.
Smart thermostats offer apps that can be used to control the thermostat from any iOS or Android device. You can use the app to schedule temperature settings, check the current temperature, or even adjust the temperature whether you're at home, at work, or away on vacation.
Smart thermostats offer unique features that make adjusting your home's temperature more convenient. They include:
- Voice-activated operation - Allows the thermostat to be controlled via communication applications such as iPhone's Siri. Smart thermostats also integrate with smart home platforms, such as Google Home.
- Warning signal - Some thermostats will alert you to extremely low temperatures that could cause you home's pipes to burst.
- Automated temperature control - Some smart thermostats "learn" your temperature preferences over time and automatically adjust the heat at certain times of the day. Geofencing senses when you are leaving a pre-defined perimeter and lowers the thermostat to save energy.
- HVAC Integration- Some thermostats can also control your home's ceiling fans, tell you when your furnace filter needs changing, and adjust your air duct dampers.
- Email alerts - Many models have an email alert feature that will notify you if your home's temperature is outside of a preset range. You'll also receive email alerts if your thermostat disconnects from the home's WiFi network due to a power outage.
- Energy savings reports - Want to know how much energy you used last month? This feature allows you to view your own usage and compare it to the usage of other homeowners.
Energy Savings with Smart Thermostats
No more forgetting to turn the thermostat down when you leave for work in the morning or before you go to bed. Smart thermostats help you maximize your energy savings by allowing you to lower your home's temperature no matter where you are. With the variety of smartphone and tablet apps available, you can log in from anywhere you have access to the Internet and make adjustments to your thermostat. Some thermostats offer maintenance reminders, which will help you further lower your energy bills over time.