Summer is coming, and already temperatures (and air conditioning bills!) have begun to soar. No matter your style, there’s a window treatment in store to help you stay cool—and save some cash—as the weather warms up. To make the most of your window treatments, consider the following:
- Energy-saving and thermal options can reduce cooling and heating costs. Look for the Energy Savings logo on jcp.com to explore foam-backed, interlined and woven options with a rating of 25% or greater.
- Sometimes you CAN have it all. A double curtain rod allows you the flexibility to install heavier, energy-saving options over light-filtering sheers, so you can customize your window covering depending on how you’re using the room at any given time.
- The hottest light comes through west-facing windows. Skip the sheers and choose more solid shades, blinds or curtain panels here to keep the sun’s rays at bay.
- South-facing windows provide wonderful natural light. Here lighter-weight window coverings really shine, letting in the sun and reducing the need for lamp and overhead lighting.
- White and light-colored window coverings aren’t just stylish choices for summer months—they help reflect heat away from the house. If you prefer a darker color palette, select a white-lined option.
Mind the Gaps
- Well-fitted window treatments prevent cool air from escaping in the summer, and heat loss in the winter.
- To reduce heat exchange, install window treatments as close to your windows as possible, and choose a length that hits the windowsill or floor.
- There’s a perfect fit for every window. When in doubt, call JCPenney in-home decorating for professional in-home service and custom window-treatment options.
Shade, Not Fade
- Strong UV rays can also fade furniture, rugs and art. To help protect them and avoid costly replacement, consider adding window treatments in sunny spots.
- Mid-weight and drapery panels offer great UV protection.
- Consider sheer or semi-sheer panels or shades in common areas where natural light is also desired.
Show us how you save this summer with #jcpStyle- we promise we won’t throw shade!